Monday, July 6, 2009

Vasser and My First Success

Oh my, I'm sorry! It seems that I have forgotten to blog last night. Yesterday was incredibly exhausting, and as soon as I finished my laundry, I went to lie down on my bed, where I accidentally fell asleep, only to wake up around the time I usually get up for class.

Going to Vassar was a scenic experience. While arrive to the Poughkeepsie train station, we passed by a wonderful view of a lake, forests, and other natural  beauties. The area was so relaxing, so peaceful, in contrast to the daily bustle that the Columbia students and I have been living.

Vassar was  a beautiful campus; gorgeous flowers, trees, and p;ants surround the more than a hundred year old buildings, and the weather was not as humid as in New York City. The group and I took a trip to Shakespeare's garden, another vivid attraction full of vibrant flowers. Overall, the campus is perfect for the prospective college student who like to immerse oneself within nature and amazing natural wonders -- however, I don't find this college to fit my desires. For the longest time, I have wanted to leave my small town of Pinole and live in a big urban setting. I figured that my college education would be my reason to venture off into a big city. This is something that I've always wanted, and it has yet to change. I only believe that my stay in Columbia has strengthened my desire. Living near hundreds of thousands of people, surrounded by many cultures, being accessible to anything in the city -- these are the wonderful attractions a big city offers, and I love it.

After we returned from Vasser, it was time for me to do something I have never done: my own laundry. Luckily, I had the help of all the other girls to guide my through this painless task. At first, I was terrified; I was afraid that my amateur laundry skills would make all of my t-shirts smaller or ruin their color. Cristina and Julie were right by my side, making sure I didn't do it. After two long hours or so of waiting, my laundry turned out fine -- and I could now say that I have done my own laundry!

3 comments:

Madeline Kronenberg said...

Gabriel,

Congratulations on all you learned today --

that you, too, can do laundry and that you, too, are an "urban" guy.

Both of these will hold you in good stead.

As I mentioned to Cristina, the College Board has a College MatchMaker site categorizing all 3,860 colleges. When I put in urban-4 year- it went down to 1236. It will get hone in even closer as you put in your major and academic abilities. When you get a chance, give it a try:

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/adv_typeofschool.jsp

A big part of your experience is "testing" your own preconceptions about your own preferences.

I'm glad you've become more aware of yourself -- and also passed the "first laundry" hurdle.

Enjoy your last week at Columbia.

Charles Tillman Ramsey said...

Gabe,

This is why we have our students take these College Tours because it allows them to refine what they want out of a College or University. Where you decide to attend college will be the most important decision as a young person, so take it seriously.

Now that you have some examples with Columbia and Vassar, next week it is BARD and UPENN, you will be armed with knowledge that can serve you well at the Columbia College Fair. Take full advantage of the college fair and assert yourself into the conversation with the admissions officers.

I also agree that we need more students to venture away from the neighborhood and see what life really has to offer, whether it is an urban or rural campus, you all need to be informed so that you make a reasoned decision.

Sounds like the day was productive and I am glad that you now have a better idea of what Gabriel Sanchez wants out of this ILC experience.

Enjoy your day.

Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Don Gosney said...

Gabe,

Don’t let those gals give you bum advice about doing your laundry. Take it from someone who’s been doing his own laundry for forty years.

First off, there’s no reason at all why you can’t mix coloreds with whites. And make sure to use plenty of bleach.

There’s nothing wrong with having pink t-shirts, towels, underwear and bed sheets. Pink is a manly color. PLUS, it sends a clear message to your pals that you’re your own man who refuses to follow the dictates of other people.

Also, a real man refuses to empty the pockets of his pants before throwing things into the washer. Used tissues, cell phones and tubes of Chapstick are especially welcome in your washer.

Be a REAL man, Gabe, and show everyone that you are the master of your washing machine.

Post a Comment