Friday, July 3, 2009

Exciting Moments

Hi again!

Today was an exciting day for me because today was the day we had the chance to meet up with the students from Brown University. I personally enjoyed seeing Mercedes and Carla again because they are two of my best friend with whom I hang out at school and seeing them in New York made my day.

Once we welcomed the students from Brown Julie, Cristina and myself gave a breif tour of the university including where we eat, where we live, where we go to class, and other important bulding on campus. We showed them the Library, the book store, the Chemistry building and the dorm buildings in which we stay in.

After we had given them a tour of Columbia I was suprised to hear how different the setting of the universities really are. I learned that the students in the summer program at Brown have to share a room where as the students in Columbia have their own rooms. I also found out that the food at Brown isn't that great compared to Columbia. The difference between the food is that at Brown they always the have same selections of food while at Columbia we get something different everyday with the exception of salad. The thing is that each University has it's cons and pros and the best thing to do to end up in a college that best suits you is to know what you want and don't want in a college.

sofia

2 comments:

Don Gosney said...

Sofia,

Maybe you can explain to me why it is that with eleven students attending Brown and 128 blogs from the so far, it took a student at Columbia to tell us that the food at Brown sucks.

These are important things for us, Sofia. Not only have we learned about the dullness of Brown’s food but after a week we’re just now learning that Columbia’s food isn’t so bad.

Sounds like you had a nice day being able to visit with old friends from home.

Charles Tillman Ramsey said...

Sofia,

I have to concur with Don. You need to proofread your posts prior to hitting send. I want you to shine and the only way for you to shine is to take a "deep breath", slow down and re-read aloud what you have written. You can do better, I know you can do better. These posts have excessive typos and misspellings. No, you do not have to be perfect, but we want you to strengthen your posts. I love the content and I get a lot out of the readings. Keep the information flowing, but I want to make sure that the first thing that I read is not a typo.

You can always ask our other ILC students to assist you with reviewing the post prior to it sending it out. We are a team and they will support you. I also hope that the others will take advantage of the campus tutoring that will help you during these next few weeks. When I was in college, I stayed in the tutorial center. I needed all the help I could get and I was not ashamed to get it. I love looking at my College Degree on the wall from UCLA. I want the same for you and I need for you to embrace my advice.

Thanks for the vivid description of taking our Brown University cohort around Columbia. I am glad that you had the time to meet with them. I am sure that the crew from Richmond High School were impressed with the surroundings and had a good time in New York City.

Sofia, your time at Columbia has exposed you to the rigors of what will await you when you go off to college. What have you learned so far from this experience? Do you feel that you are prepared to attend a four year college? If so, why? If not, why not? How could your counselors have helped you better prepare for this class? Have you gained inspiration while you have been in New York City to redouble your efforts and do what is necessary to ensure that you are ready for college?

This is a great chance to do what we call an assessment and learn what you need to improve. Never see yourself as a person who cannot succeed. Have high goals, but make sure they are realistic, and try to find those who will build you up and not tear you down. The Ivy League Connection is a program that wants to uncover the weaknesses not only in our students, but in our district. We all need to improve and the only way that we can get better is to put ourselves into "highly competitive arenas". If we fail to do so then we have failed ourselves.

Thanks again Sofia for taking us through your day. I do hope that you will take my advice to heart. You are a champion and a person that has a bright future.

Enjoy the balance of your Fourth of July.

Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Post a Comment