Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Progress!!!!

Although I do love participating in the labs we do everyday, today in particular I was upset because of the fact that I didn't understand the purpose of today's lab. Luckily Julie came to the rescue and really took the time to explain what is it that we where supposed to find in today's lab. She explained everything in depth and when asked a question she explained it in a way I would understand. It feels good to finally understand how things work.( I'm getting it!)I have a good feeling that I will also understand tomorrows lab because I have already done something similar in my Biology class.



Understanding the lab was not my only success but also I got thinking of my future as a college student. As I was sitting in one of the many reading rooms the library contains, I got to thinking that in a few months I will have to think about the colleges I will to apply to. Who knows maybe I will end up in a University like Columbia. Anyways as I was sitting in the reading room I did not help but notice the college students who were in there studying and I could do is to imagine how my life will change as I become a college student. I tried to put myself in their shoes and tried to imagine that what they could be working on could be something I will soon have to work on as well.



Changing the subject, I would like to say that Columbia's Library is absolutely beautifully! As I walked in, the first thing I saw was the dome like ceiling and the marble floors. Further into the Library I saw there were many rooms in which you could read and rooms in which you could use the computers. The library has six floors filled with more than two million volumes.

3 comments:

Don Gosney said...

Sofia,

I was mentioning in someone else’s blog yesterday that Cal’s libraries have more than 10 million volumes. That’s a whole bunch of books.

Living in Richmond some of our youth can get an erroneous idea about what a library is all about. Even when you travel to Albany or Hercules you can see libraries that are several steps beyond what we have and when you visit San Francisco’s new library you can get really impressed. Most collegiate libraries, though, really take the cake for grandeur, efficiency and accessibility. AND, if you find the right ones, you can find that great chair that makes it so easy to catch a few zzz’s while you’re supposed to be studying.

I’m glad that Julie was able to help make the lab understandable. Being lost can be such a helpless feeling. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a language issue, a geographical issue or a lack of familiarity with the subject matter, it happens to all of us from time to time and it’s not a pleasant feeling.

Charles Tillman Ramsey said...

This post brought a smile to my face! It sounds like you are getting the hang of things and are finding "your voice". I am glad that class went well. I hope that you are looking forward to your trip to Philadelphia and UPENN this Saturday. It should be a very fun day.

Hope all else is well.

Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Madeline Kronenberg said...

Sofia,

I'm smiling too when I read your blog. I can hear your relief at getting it. Good job hanging in there until you did get it.

And I am equally impressed that you are seeing yourself and a true college student and thinking about your future as a college student.

Now, try that College Match program -- I'm interested in hearing which schools come out as a match for you.

Take a breath and congratulate yourself and have some fun at UPENN and Bard.

Post a Comment