Thursday, July 9, 2009

During Class

I went to the High Line for a class trip! It is a public park built across and incorporated with an old railroad in the West Side of Manhattan. There are a lot of native plants there, and some parts are also still under construction. These are some pictures:


I also did a presentation based on captive breeding. My group and I had to create a facility to hold and breed pandas for conservation purposes. I thought that it was a really good way to expose how certain types of organizations have to start. It is a lot harder than it seems, for there are a lot of different types of considerations such as staff, location, cost, research, structure, design, and the list continues. This not only applies to conservation of biodiversity, but I think that it can be related to other issues in society as well. I am definitely more aware to different possibilities and looking at everything in more than one angle.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Jessica,

Two things for today:

The first being that I recognize that garden from an episode of Law & Order. Not being from New York or even having visited, most of the scens in these shows mean nothing to me but now I have a reference.

Secondly, what your grandmother hangs on her walls are ‘pictures’, Jessica. What you take are ‘photographs’. There’s a distinction.

Nice stuff, by the way.

Post a Comment