Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sun & Sparks

Today, my suite joined a number of other groups in taking a trip to Long Beach. I found it to be one of the cleanest beaches I've ever been to. Usually, I try to keep my shoes on, because there always seems to be soemthing on the beach that can hurt my foot. But today, The minute I stepped onto the beach, the flip flops came off and I walked confidently down towards the rest of the groups.

After a rest at Columbia, my suite walked to a nearby grocery store with a few other people. There, we bought food which we brought back to campus and ate on the grass, like a little picnic. The weather during our picnic was actually my favorite kind of weather -- windy, but not too windy; cool, but not cold; sunny, but not boiling. Afterwards, we took the subway to 72nd street, at which we walked to a freeway specifically closed off for people to watch fireworks. It was an interesting notion to be walking along a freeway.


Oh, and today I had my first experience on a New York subway that was LITERALLY packed with people coming back from the fireworks celebration. AND the air conditioning wasn't even on.

2 comments:

Don Gosney said...

Jackie,

Nice stuff.

Charles Tillman Ramsey said...

Jackie,

How can we take what you are learning about others and bring it back to Hercules High School? What are you learning that is different? What do these students who are in the program discuss and share with you? Do they come from wealthy backgrounds? Do they attend prestigious private schools or do they attend low-income schools like our district?

Take us through your analysis and share what you are feeling and seeing. We want to learn what is the profile of a "typical" student at the Columbia Summer Studies Program.

Jackie you are a very motivated and bright student. I read it in your posts. I need for the details to emerge and to have you identify how we can improve our services for the students in this district.

Enjoy your day. I know that the group of you are at Vassar and I am definitely interested in hearing how the train ride and the day went.

Take care.

Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Post a Comment